Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Kids' Choice Awards part 1

So we got lucky enough to score 4 tickets to the KCA this past saturday night. How did I get the precious tix that were going for about $600 per? Well, duh, I am directing on one of the most popular shows on Nick...well, maybe that had something to do with it. I also directed a live action spot for the KCA's themselves. Now THAT was pretty cool.

I thought I was just going to go to the shoot to help with the lighting and camera composition for when we added the 3d elements. I was a bit nervous at first - this being only my second live action shoot that I was actually a part of. I did a best buy spot about 10 years ago that really wasn't anything. The talent was someone pushing in a vcr tape in a vcr - anyone remember vcrs?

Anyway, this shoot was a little different. First off, it had two of Nick's big stars. If you're above the age of 16 you may have never heard of them. One was Lil JJ, the star of Just Jordan (on Nick) and the other was Miranda Cosgrove of ICarly (also on Nick). You may remember Miranda as the bitchy manager type on the movie School of Rock. So it comes down that we (at Omation) are doing this spot for the KCAs. I was asked to direct it so after the voices were recorded, we storyboarded the spot and married the audio to picture. I tried to think of the cameras that I would use in the live shoot to make things easier. None of my favorite traveling camera shots were allowed:(

So we get to the shoot and like I said, I thought I was just there to make sure they did what I had done in the boards. Well, right after the first take, everyone started looking to me for the overall direction as well. Now I've directed a lot of voice over talent but never action in front of the camera - even if it was two 15 year olds. After the initial nerves were gone, I was rolling. Really getting into it. Telling the Camera dude (the DP) what to do, the AD (assistant director) what to do - even the talent themselves. I was feeling all powerfull! Nah didn't like that - DO IT AGAIN! Now with more feeling!!!

Well, not exactly BUT it was unbelievably cool. I was on such a rush even for this tiny little 1 minute spot. I started to get in my groove and really let it fly. I kept thinking - I could get used to this. See the thing is in 3d animation, you tell someone what to do (like animation) and it takes days to get it back exactly the way you want it. Here, since there are REAL humans, its instantaneous. Man, I know that sounds very odd - like, no crap, Mike - but I loved it. Let's try this...now let's try this. I was definitely bitten by the bug of directing live action.

Oh and how did the actual awards go? I'll let ya know in a second...

3 Comments:

Blogger Traveller said...

Hey, Mr. Gasaway, It's Michael Kruger from back in good old Flower Mound.

I was bored while studying for mid-terms, so I decided to Google one of my favorite old games, Crash Bandicoot. And what, pray tell, did I find on the Naughty Dog web page? Your name, that's what.

I realized that, you son-of-a-****, worked for the team that got me into GAMING (a pation of mine), AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME!

So, the first thing I naturally decide to do is Google your name, and look what I find...

But really, please keep in touch.

-Michael

P.S. You can contact me at buckfan16@gmail.com

9:51 PM  
Blogger Traveller said...

I spelled passion wrong... It was bugging me.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Sean Ø said...

Kid's Choice Part Deux

(In case Mike flakes again)

http://nightglowindow.blogspot.com/2008/03/2008-kids-choice-awards-jodie-foster-is.html

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home